Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quirky Taste

Warning: Really, if you're sensitive to gross looking pictures, you can simply skip this post. Thou have been warned.

I miss this food.
Looks disgusting? That's because it's roasted silkworms and it's called Bundaegi (뻔데기).
Among all food I got to eat in Korea back in winter 2002, this is the most memorable food ever eaten. I remember I bought a cup of it from a stall at a rest area. Eating something, even if it's a cup of hot snacks or chips, would help yourself in warming up, due to the extremely cold weather.



So I happened to stumble upon this stall and this nice ajumma behind it offered what she sold. She smiled as if she was trying to say "Don't worry. Despite its look, it's actually delicious!". I was kind of interested much to my mom's hesitation (I was 10 at that moment). But I ended up buying it, even though my mom kept saying "Are you seriously eating that thing?"


But seriously,
it's delicious!!

No matter how gross it looks to you, and you disgusting the crunchy sound when it hits your mouth, the taste is just so good. I remember when I got back into the bus shortly after buying it, everyone instantly looked at me and uttered (since I joined a tour from Singapore, everyone simply said in Chinese)
"What the heck are you eating there?" I was like "It's good, it's good."

Haha, so that's a bit about a cup of bundaegi I got to taste in Korea. Hmm...I so want to get back to that country. The food, the weather, the people, and everything. (there's a reason why I put the food in bold. I mean, the food!!!)

Oh and do you know why I suddenly posted about this food in the late of night? Because I just discovered that the name is Bundaegi. I used to refer it roasted worm snack before today.

So lesson learned today: don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, don't judge food by its look.

No comments:

Post a Comment