Thursday, December 17, 2009

English Club Farewell Craziness

*Blogging mode on*

You really have to know that since the report card day, I've been dead bored at home, not knowing what to do, and recently I happened to stumble into photos from my extracurricular's farewell, uploaded by Febi on Facebook.

So, you ask, what extracurricular do you join in? The famous school's drum band? Or the awesome drama club? I'll say, haha, even better. It's English Club. Of course you've never heard about it. Anyway, it's not that I'm going blabber about what English Club is. Well, you know it's the most gabut­-est and the least known one, yet with the friendly seniors and crazy freshmen.

As for the seniors (refers to us, the twelve graders), we're not going to keep up with the club next year, due to the freaking tests and exams striking almost every week. The club members have been even closer than just friends. We've been like sisters for the past few months. Even not just us, the members, but the club's advisor himself. We call him Mr. B. Since my friends and I, the seniors, are not going to be present at the club next year, the juniors (the 11th graders and 10th graders) seemed to have planned something surprising for us.

And here goes the story.
So plop yourselves on your seats, sit back, and enjoy the show...

*Story telling mode on*

The seniors were hectic that day, on Tuesday, November 26, 2009 due to the Paper Session (or test) held in the morning. As one of the stressful seniors, I was waiting in front of the auditorium, waiting for my Paper coordinator and advisor to summon me. Luckily, I got the first turn but seriously this ain't a good thing *heart pounding uncontrollably*. First, I had no idea at all what those two women were going to ask me in the Session. They would probably snap out some complaints about the mistakes I'd made in my Paper. Just prepare your ears, Car.

As you can guess, I was sitting in this small room that was bordered by some boards. So in the other side of the boards, there were a few more rooms for other Sessions held at the same time. I'm going to explain the whole thing how the Session went. It made me want to throw up and bad thing I didn't have a plastic bag around here. So let's keep to the end of the Session. As I walked out of the auditorium, my friends practically called me and demanded to know what the advisor and the coordinator were going to ask them. I told them to restrain themselves and keep calm, because being tense wouldn't help things go just fine.

Soon my three other friends (Monica, Fifi, and Widya) who have done with their Sessions and I, went to the abandoned Language Lab and just played around with their computers. Three of us (minus Agnes, Irina the treasurer, and Fanny the CSI-obsessed secretary, who already had her eyes on Soraya, a freshman who also had the same obsession on CSI, to be her successor. They were not present at that time.) happened to be members of English Club. Yes, we're always close.

Perhaps we had been too stressed out with the Sessions earlier that we really had to pop out our inner craziness and let out our stressfulness at that time, and how we got that out? Her name is Monica and she's a huge fan of Disney kids. She pioneered the idea of releasing our stressfulness by dancing to the songs of Miley Cyrus and last but not least, we all danced to Single Ladies and immitated Beyonce's exact movements just like in the video clip. A bit crazy but funny. Even we sat on each computers, listening to different songs heard through the headsets and just...sang along pretty loud. I even sang along to Owl City's Fireflies. I know my voice ain't that good but...it's just to release all the pressure I have after the freaking Paper Session.

When Monica was about to accompany me to the restroom, she opened the door first with me behind her, but then there was a voice.

"Stay inside!"

Monica replied. "Sir, what are you doing out there?"

"Just stay inside." he insisted.

The door was then held so it wouldn't open too wide. Monica then said that Mr. B was outside, presumably had been eavesdropping our falsetto voices mimicking Miley Cyrus, Owl City, or even Justin Bieber. I had a feeling he was keeping a secret. Out of curiousity, Widya jumped onto a chair near the high window and looked outside, saying that he was gazing facing the yard against the railing. Fifi remained on her computer, singing along calmly to the song she was currently listening, and I returned to my computer while Widya, as curious as a cat, was still on the chair spying on the teacher outside who was leaning against the railing. Monica continued singing along to a Miley's song from her phone - Party in the USA, to be exact - before...

"SURPRISE!!!!"


All of sudden, a bunch of girls, followed by a tall guy no other than Mr. B, entered the room. The 11th graders included Febi (my "daughter" aka my successor), Winny (the treasurer), Lady (the secretary). The freshmen like Dian, Nikita, Alia, Lanti, Putri, and many others were also present. Unexpectedly, Febi had arranged a surprise farewell party for the seniors, and not to mention she also brought a farewell tart cake and some party hats for everyone to wear, which is embarrassing, I know. We took some pictures - silly pictures - and not to mention, one of the juniors asked Mr. B to pose with his cake in front of the camera. And thus he did, but in a silly-looking way. So after donning his party hat, he held up his cake besides him, and stroke a pose and grinned widely at the camera in an unusual expression - funny.

I wish I had that picture. It was sooo rare to see a teacher acting that way. Still, it's funny though. At that moment we even forgot that he was a teacher. Haha. Even a junior who was attempting to take his picture, couldn't help but shake the camera due to laughing so hard.

Actually, at that moment, I hardly paid attention to him posing at that time. In fact, I was facing the other way. The next thing I remembered was, Widya, Monica, Fifi, followed by the rest of juniors and freshmen, all fell on their knees to the floor - some even laid down, rolling to the side - roared into loud laughter. I was like "What is it? What are you guys laughing about?" Widya pointed at Mr. B and I couldn't help but laugh too...

Here are some pictures snapped from the occasion. Sorry for the low quality. Pictures credit to Febi's phone camera.


From left to right (first row): Lady, Febi, Winny, me (hidden, explained below), Widya, Monica.
Followed by Dian turning her head against the camera, Nikita looking cool, and Fifi munching on her snack

----------------------------------------------------
Oh my gosh, did I really look like a Sadako there??
Well, I can explain about this. Actually I was being tickled by Widya. That's why I didn't have time to pose. At this moment, I was laughing.


Nuff said. The leader indeed loves posing in front of the camera


Sisterhood of English Club's Seniors:
(from left to right) Fifi, Widya, moi, and Monica


And...with the advisor...


Again... :)

-------------------------------------------------
Okay, FLASHBACK TIME
Prepare your tissue

It was memorable two and a half years being with English Club. I remember when I was still an innocent freshman myself, resisting to join this club because I preferred to join more existing and more known clubs such as Drumband, Drama club, or Art club), but eventually forced by my mom to join English Club.

When I sat in the class at the very first meeting, I put on a I-don't-belong-in-this club kind of expression, but it all changed as I met these amazing seniors such as Kak Niken (who turned out to be my "Grandma"), Kak Yulia (who used to be obsessed by Kevin Aprillio and sent me a letter blabbering about how she was brokenhearted when Kevin eventually had his eye on Sherina), and Kak Ais. English Club used to be very active back then, even the club and the Science Club collaborated to hold an academic event I will never forget, called TSEC (Tarakanita Science and English Competition). What made it even more memorable was, the competition was held right on my fifteenth birthday, which was October 23, 2007. Moving on to 2008, Raysa (my "mother") and the duo Cindy and Andrea, stepped up, and I still remember when my "mother" used to have this obsession on Kim Ryeowook from Super Junior and claimed that he was my "father". Now apparently she inherited her obsession to me. Haha.

Even on the sort of inauguration day, Fanny, Irina, and I were told to wander around the school, following a clue given to each of us, and I happened to stumble in front of Raysa's class, but in order to open the door, I had to scream out Ryeowook's name for like three times and I did. It turned out that I became Raysa's daughter and she gave me a teddy bear. Awww....

There was another memorable moment though. Our advisor back then was Mr. Thomas or Mr. T. We - the members of the club - loved him so much but in the other side, we felt like we've really hurt him, for everytime he taught in our classes, we would all ignore his explanation but he would always be very patient. One day, he summoned me, Widya, Fanny, and Raysa and told us he was going to quit teaching in our school pretty soon, due to him having some sort of health problem. He said that he needed some rest and probably move to teach somewhere close to his residence. We were all very struck with this news yet at that moment we felt extremely guilty for what we'd done to him after all this time. We'd always ignored him in class but he wouldn't be mad for that. At his farewell day, we uttered our apology for like thousandth time and hoped he would forgive us for our slightly outrageous behaviour.

Anyway, he was soon replaced by a new English teacher whom later we called Mr. B. His real name is Mr. Proud but we called him Mr. B due to our habit calling Mr. Thomas as Mr. T formerly (Mr. Thomas asked us to call him Mr. T) and also there was another dedicated advisor called Mrs. Rini. I remember when I was stressed due to having no idea how to make a permission letter to join a competition addressed to school, and she kept calling me and gave me tutorial via phone, even though she was busy at the moment.

The point is, it's been a memorable two and a half years (seems like I'm repeating words). English Club really gives me unforgettable memories and make me think that this club is even more awesome than any other clubs at school, well, for me. Thank you English Club and everyone who's contributed in it. I'm sorry if I've been a jackass leader and probably the lame one.

No comments:

Post a Comment