Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I miss fall quarter.



ohhitherebitchieess.
Finallyyyy, a post with quality after so long. Yeah, nothing much happened to me these days. I've been feeling so-so and more to bored especially these days. Not having mood swing to be exact. I dunno, maybe because Aunt Irma is approaching? Possible.
Just a few days ago, on the 9th, most of international students at my college struggled to get their seats in their preferred class. Yeah, it's registration day y'all!!

Yes, today I registered for my spring quarter classes. Wew, winter quarter has been a hectic and crazy quarter so far, compared to Fall Quarter. I only (yes only) had 14 credits (the minimum credits to achieve is 12) on Fall. This quarter I have 18, then Spring I'm going to have 20. I'm soo going to drop one of them, or at least I wanted to.

Oh my God speaking of Fall Quarter, I miss it so darn much. It touches me everytime I see this:


and I can definitely list down the reasons why:

E N G L I S H W R I T I N G C L A S S
  1. Despite having a class that ended at 10pm (yeah, in the evening), I made many friends in English writing class. I miss them, really.

  2. Aside of the bunch of homework the professor gave, she was also a very nice lady and made an evening class not as stressful as I thought it'd be.

  3. I miss having a bite of snacks my friends had provided in the break time.

  4. I miss reading Call of the Wild by Jack London no matter I got really stressed reading it since I was not into animal literature.

  5. I miss having quizzes no matter I sometimes didn't do really well it them.

  6. I freaking miss watching a movie nearing the end of the quarter. Call of the Wild FTW!!!

  7. I miss my friend's "I spy on my panties" jokes while he actually meant to say "I spy on my patients."

  8. I miss getting a ride from my Vietnamese friend back home.

  9. I miss doing NINE FREAKING HOMEWORK that was to be turned in in every meeting. Duh. Like seriously.

  10. I miss the book "Write Stuff" even though I know there's nothing much we learn there.

  11. I miss that bonus question in every quiz that tested my knowledge about America

A L G E B R A C L A S S
  1. I don't honestly miss the professor. He's one of a sarcastic, not-so-friendly, scary guy with dry jokes that I believe everyone would hate. Even he gets a low rating as a professor. The way he speaks and gestures reminds me of that typical army commander and that antagonist on James Cameron's Avatar. Well, maybe he was enlisted in the army before, don't know how he could end up in my campus lol. But now, after enrolling in Stats presently, I started to miss my Algebra professor's teaching method.

    But frankly speaking, he's nice, it's just that he's not that expressive when it comes to well...expressions. His kindness is somehow implied, instead of visibly seen. He lectured slowly and everytime he finished introducing a new Math topic, he always gave the students several problems to solve using the method and formula he just introduced.

    Then he'd try to remember each students' names and called them out with his deep, eerie voice that sent chill (as if he summoned you to step on to the execution podium) to make sure if they could solve the problems.

    My friend and I kind of talked about him in the middle of stressing over stats homework we hardly understood and how the stats professor didn't conduct 2 way communication.

    Our stats professor is like a total opposite of my Algebra professor in terms of personality: he's nice, friendly, jokes a lot, talks about random stuff, brings cookies to class for a sample example, very expressive, smiles a lot unlike my Algebra professor. But when my stats professor lectures in the speed of light, he's like talking to the white board and those series of slide-shows all by himself. My friend came up with the conclusion that "Our stats teacher doesn't care if we understand or not, he keeps giving us 'chocolates, branded bags, car' without giving us 'love'." So yeah, I don't really understand everytime he lectures.

    But being taught by my stats professor felt like I was given a hundreds of boxes of chocolate, a Mercedes Benz car, a pile of branded bags by my parents, but they didn't give me love. It's the same as my stats professor. He gave the students handout to study, which sadly the handouts feature a problem and the answer, without giving the solution. Math is all about solution. You can't achieve answers without going through the solution. The stats professor also gave out practice exams, but then that's it. He didn't review anything before the exam.

    Guess my friend and I are a bit biased on our Algebra professor in the previous quarter. Maybe it's just that I have my own preference on math teacher. Maybe I'm stupid at math particularly at stats (which is ironic since stats is supposed to be my favorite Math subject. I achieved the highest score in stats back in high school. I was even more ecstatic on taking stats rather than Algebra). But my friend that also shared the same feeling with me towards the stats teacher, was hella smart. I can tell. Smarter, much smarter than me.

    It's undeniable that I really suck at Math and I need a teacher to kindly and patiently guide me going through the problem using a solution. Maybe for some people in my stats class, the professor is the best because they have strong and fast perception towards math. They are fast learners. While after the lecture, there's always this big question mark on my brain. I always need to self-teach myself and my friend, finding the answers by ourselves through our studies and research since the professor doesn't help much.

    Dude, I mean that's what a Math professor's supposed to do: conducting a practice for students to make sure they understand the topic! Math is not just about talking, lecturing, introducing the formula, doing the examples without giving the students the chance to do them, then just letting the students leave after class, leaving a big question mark in their brains.

    Like one time, my Algebra professor went over to my desk to hand me a Math exam and said "Carissa, good job." (see how he remembered my name, and not just my name but everyone's names in the class? I'm not kidding. Again, he called out my name which has the same tone as saying "Carissa, any last words?" Very much contradictory) with his signature yet scary frown on his face. The stats teacher seems to bother to remember students' names I guess.

    To conclude everything, my Algebra professor what an ideal math professor should be.
    My friend and I couldn't help but think why our stats professor got a much higher rating than our Algebra professor.

    I guess I could compare my Algebra professor to Kikujiro, the character from the movie of the same name. In the movie, Kikujiro is a bitter person, unfriendly, and rude, but deep down he's a very nice person and cares to the kid that he helps out.

    My friend and I really hoped that our Algebra professor taught Stats in the first place. That way we'd definitely take his class instead of our current Stats professor's.

    Screw Stats
    Praise Algebra

  2. Moving on, phiew, finally. I got 100 for the first time in my Math history for over 14 years. Finally. Finally. Finally. FINALLYYY!!

  3. I miss asking questions even though the Algebra might think of me as a dumb person for not knowing what an "Every Other Odd" number is.

  4. I miss selecting problems from the textbook as homework problems. What an un-stressful way to do homework, especially when you don't have to turn it in.

  5. I miss having quizzes every meeting. It really helped me boosting my score and develop my Algebraic skills

  6. I miss feeling NOT SLEEPY in math class. That's a very phenomenal yet scarce experience since I always yawn if exposed to numbers and math formulas.

  7. I miss feeling challenged to my classmates. I miss the feeling that I know I should beat my other classmates in terms of Algebra, since I have a bit Algebraic background back in high school so yeah, that really helped a lot.
G R A P H I C D E S I G N C L A S S
  1. Err...I have no specific impression about this class at all. The students are just silent. They are like captivated by their own computers without giving attention to other classmates, like the employees in Ministry of Truth in the novel 1984 by George Orwell. So basically my Indonesian friend and I are like the loudest in the classroom and probably the only ones that talk in the class.

    The picture below might explain everything.



    And yeah, we do take pictures in the classroom even though we know the professor was there. Aymee even took a picture of the professor candidly lol.







  2. Overall my grades in Graphic Design class are just fine.

  3. The professor doesn't leave me much impression, except the fact that he reminds me of a Santa Claus.

  4. The only thing that I love about this class is how the professor doesn't give us much projects. Only four projects in a quarter! And you can actually finish that project in a day if you want to. Well, or so I thought, because I'm talking about a short, simple project that a non-Adobe Photoshop-er can even finish within a day. So after you finish a day/meeting working on your project, you'll spend like four meetings ahead doing nothing but editing or making some new samples of your current project until a new project was introduced.

  5. I also miss going home half an hour after the class started, because after a short lecture by the professor, people literally just leave the class and prefers to do the projects at home.
H I P H O P C L A S S
  1. I miss my friends. They're mostly outgoing people. At first I was a bit afraid of them since they were kind of those street boys you see on TV, you know, wearing baggy jeans, messy look, piercings all over their body (not really though). But then they turned out to be really nice and didn't even bother help each other out when it comes to difficult choreography

  2. I miss especially the second choreography piece, using the song "Make Me" by Janet Jackson. Personally for me, the dance movement strongly resembles that of jazz movement. Apparently everyone else in the class seems to like the second piece so much. In fact at one time, everyone in the class was simply addicted to the dance that they were excited to dance it over and over again. Even when the instructor (not the professor) called it a day, we were all like "Again! Again!"

  3. I miss especially the finals. So awesome seeing everyone making up their choreography piece for the finals. One of my friends dared to perform belly dancing instead of normal hip hop which gained applause from everyone.

  4. I extremely don't miss my professor. That's out of the question. It's obvious that he picked favorites. Period
All in all, there's a reason on top of all my reasons that I classified by classes.I kind of feel fall quarter was like a temporary stay for me. Because before I even got to go to the US, my mom had booked me the ticket to return on December 10 (speaking of that, I haven't finished the Homecoming story). So it felt more like homestay or summer class where I was supposedly scheduled to go home by the end of the quarter.

Also, maybe because it was my first quarter, I still felt fresh and so ready for college life. I was still hella excited to embrace it. That's why for me, everything in Fall Quarter was like a new, exciting experience, like meeting new friends, curious what kind of friends I would get, where they came from you know.

Now can I just scream out loud?
I FREAKING MISS FALL QUARTER!!
I miss lacking of depression that I felt. It felt truly relaxing and enjoyable. Well, at some points I did feel a bit stressed especially on English (when it comes to dealing with 9 freaking homework to be turned in in every meeting). But other than that, everything's fine.

Yeah, Fall Quarter felt so short. You know what those people say: time flies when we enjoy ourselves.

Nice weekend guys.

3 comments:

  1. What???? That is so very weird! In my case I kinda like Winter better (kinda since I'm not sure with myself even now) But really no one, I repeat, NO ONE would miss nine writing homework like you! Wahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha it's a special case for me when it comes to doing 9 homework. I mean dude, it leaves a different impression to me lol.
    Maybe you like winter quarter because you're starting to feel comfortable about studying here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess so :p Just one problem though.. okay, guess two problems: Grades and Guys. G.G. (Not that they're interested me, it's rather me not knowing how to act in front of them... wahaha)

    ReplyDelete