Sunday, March 13, 2011

black black white white (ambiguity)



The title literally means "black black white white"
This entry is posted as requested by Elda
Just now we were arguing over something ridiculous, but I guess it'd be worth to post.

My earphone's speaker happened to nudge against the glass that stood in front of me, making a "cling" sound. Actually it was nothing much, but apparently Elda heard it and said.
Elda: "The sound reminds me of a food wagon in Indonesia that sells...." (halted for a second). "That black, white thingy...black and white... black...black...white...square...cube sized...."

Me: "What?"

Elda: "It's an Indonesian dessert. The black thing is soggy like jelly. The white thingy is..."

Me: "Es campur? (mixed ice)"

Elda: "No, the black thingy is cube sized, squares, yeah, and there's a lot of them in the dish."

Me: (frown) "Kolak? Cendol?"

Elda: "Noooo... You'd always have that to break fasting."

Me: "I'd always have either kolak or cendol to break fasting."

Elda: "Nooo, it's...umm...black, black, thingy...."

Me: "Kembang tahu? (douhua)" (trying to guess if maybe she meant the food was of hot black gravy with thin white tofu layers floating on it)

Elda: "No!! It's not hot. It's cold, it's a dessert, it's sweet!" (her tone rose)

Me: "What then? Nata de coco?"

Elda: "Yeaaaaah, you got the white thing right!! The black thing should be...should be...."

Me: "Gula jawa? (Javanese sugar, cos once it's blended with water, it'll make the water turn dark)"

Elda: "Nooo!!!"

Me: "Pudding?"

Elda: "Noo!!"

Me: "Jelly...jelly..."

Elda: "No!!! No jelly!!!"

Me: "Does it contain coconut milk?"

Elda: "Not even close!"

Me: "Err...es campur, es doger, es kacang hijau (pea ice)?" (going back to the very first guess)

Elda: "Nooo!"

Me: "Es kelapa muda? (coconut ice)"

Elda: "Nooooooooooo!!!"

Me: "Black, black, white, white huh?"
Elda: "Yeah, it's black, black, white, white!! Cube-sized!! Look it up on google! Search for...'Black black white white'."
(I guess we Indonesians always have that tendency to keep repeating an adjective word when it comes to exaggeration)

I literally typed 'black black white white' ridiculously in despair on Google search engine field. I knew no result would be found, but I was just under pressure of decoding the puzzle. Then I kept continuing to search for relating keywords, from Indonesian desserts to jelly.

After a minute of stressful moment, my search came to its end after I typed "Agar-agar hitam" which literally means "black jelly"

Right at the bottom of the first page, this word caught my attention

"Es Cingcau"
or literally means "Grass jelly beans"
Me: "Es Cincau?!!"

Elda: "Yeaaah, es cincau! Hahaha"
Aaaaaannnndddd...here's what she actually means:



And also the black thing Elda referred is...


Correction:
- It does contain of coconut milk
- It has black jelly beans inside its white milky like water.
- Most pictures that I found about this dessert have moss green jelly beans instead of black or brown
- IT'S NOT EVEN NATA DE COCO, because Nata de coco is white jelly beans. Duh. Sorry. My bad.
It's lame how I rarely encounter or even eat cincau. It's not my preference for dessert back in Indonesia. That's why it takes time for me to see what it really looks like.

The debate lasted after approximately two minutes long. I predicted it could've lasted for an hour long if not solved.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA!!!!!

    Love it to the max!

    Item-item putih-putih rocks! Black black white white!! Kuro kuro shiro shiro!!!

    ReplyDelete