Friday, July 23, 2010

Eavesdropped from my workplace!

Staff members = SM (Plural)

..Conversation 1
With a quite eccentric man in his forties.
Man: Afternoon ladies! (he said this in English quite excitedly) How're you today?
SM: (look awkwardly at him) F-fine...
Man: Let's see...this is an English course, isn't it?
SM: Um...yes.
Man: So all of you must be fluent in English. Are you? Are you? (points at the staff members one by one)
SM: (nods one by one)
Man: Who's the most fluent?
SM: Err...she is... (nervously points at the head of staff who happened to stand behind us)
Man: Oh well, anyway, I was wondering about the programs of this course since I'm planning to sign up for my son...
SM: (grabs the brochure and hands it over to him, then starts explaining about the levels and programs)
A few minutes later, we've done giving him the info about the course....
Man: Thanks very much. (spots a promo brochure with a famous entertainer Choki Sitohang on it) Is this Choki Sitohang?
SM: Yes
Man: Why is he doing there? (he means, what's he doing on the promo brochure)
SM: He's the icon of our course's promo
Man: Yeah, but why must be him?
SM: Err...the...headquarters happened to...offer him to become the icon of this course
Man: Ew, but he's ugly.
Inside, I screamed "NOO!! He's not!! He's darn fine! You said that because you're a guy!"
SM: (a moment of awkward silence) I guess he's lucky enough to be the icon of the course
Man: Um, okay then. (he stands up and prepares to leave) Thank you. Byee!!!
SM: (watch as the man closes the door behind him, then break into laughter)
Officially the most eccentric costumer ever met during my part-time working here.

..Conversation 2
A woman came to the course and asked information of the course. Same thing as the old man did before.
Woman: Thank you very much for the information
SM: You're welcome, ma'am.
Woman: (spots a banner with Choki on it) Send my regards to Choki!
SM: Errr...okay ma'am :)
That's fine ma'am. You're a lady, and many ladies at your age still fall in love with a guy as mesmerizing and as young as Choki Sitohang. It's a natural cause.

..Conversation 3
Me having a conversation with a woman over the phone
Me: Good afternoon, is this A's mother?
Woman: Yes, A's mother speaking. Who is this?
Me: I'm from the course. I learned that you visited us early to ask for our promo's info, didn't you?
Woman: Yeah, right.
Me: Cool. We'd like to remind you that the promo is about to end at the weekend. Is there any chance you're going to confirm about signing up your son here?
Woman: Oh, here's the thing. My son, well, he's still confused about that. But don't worry, I'm going to persuade him. I mean, he has to. I'll definitely sign up, but don't know when. I'll let you know about it.
Me: Al-alright ma'am. Thanks very much (hangs up)
Ma'am, you sound exactly like my mom when she was about to sign me up in the course long ago. She also told almost the same thing to the staff when I said I didn't want to join the course. Typical moms, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment