Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Moon vs 2012

I finally finished my paper today! But I know it's not over yet, because I know there are lots of revision to do before getting it accepted. In the mean time, I'm waiting for my favorite boyband in Asian Music Award to appear (and some other Korean and Japanese artists I adore too). While waiting, I just want to share this for you, hope it's not too pointless...

Paper really took much of my time. I've planned to see 2012 since last week but never fulfilled that wish until now. While I planned to watch 2012 since New Moon (another most wanted movie) is coming up this week.

So, these are two movies I desperately want to see these days...



Obvious eh?

These are two movies that will be fighting the box office. Okay, I admit it, 2012 has been in the top of box office chart since last week. But there are still lots of people out there that haven't seen the movie (like me). Meanwhile New Moon is coming up this week. Mm...tough battle of two movies? Everyone? So fangirls are obviously excited to see New Moon, while the Non-Twilighters decide to watch 2012 over New Moon. I consider myself as neutral. I love Twilight (if you ask which team I am, whether Jacob or Edward, I will obviously say...JACOB!!).

2012 REMOVAL
Lately, I've heard the infotainments on TV are busy talking about the rumors of 2012 removal on cinemas. Celebrities are asked for their opinions, and today, I heard that it was confirmed already that 2012 will be removed from cinemas in Indonesia. Apparently MUI disagrees about the idea of the movie, which depict doomsday, thus misleading its audience into believing that on December 21, 2012, a global catalysm will happen, just like what the Mayans predicted. As a person who hasn't watched the movie (stupid paper, I should have watched this movie last week), I'm surely disappointed. They said that the movie would be removed if not today then tomorrow.

Honestly, I don't like the way MUI thinks. I know they're against the movie because they believe it misleads people into believing what the Mayans predicted. But well, come to think of it. Movie is art, right? People are free to express every issues going on in this world through the form of art. And I think by responding to the rumors about 2012 doomsday, Roland Emmerich decided to make a film about it. You know, Emmerich is like the "king" of disaster movies, ranging from Independence Day, Godzilla, to the latest The Day After Tomorrow.

Emmerich responded the issue of Global Warming by making The Day After Tomorrow, where, in alternate universe, Global Warming caused huge Ice Storms to strike the northern hemisphere. In this version of Doomsday, the world will end up being covered by ice, leading it to another Ice Age. Well, indirectly this movie tells about doomsday, but the main focus is about Global Warming itself.

Lately, a rumor about 2012 doomsday has been brought up by public. People seem to be talking about it these days. Maybe Emmerich was curious enough about this issue, thus making the rumor to come true in his latest work, 2012. Its promotion is less known than New Moon's. New Moon has been most waited by its fans all over the world since after Twilight was released, while this movie 2012 suddenly just popped out and immediately drew people's interests to watch it.

With 2012 sitting on the top of the box office, apparently Indonesians are also interested to see the movie. Just watch TV. People have lined up in cinemas just to see the movie. Very sensational, isn't it?

But after a week of release, the movie is told (and later confirmed) to be removed, because of its controversies. Then I watched infotainment this afternoon, with celebrities asking "If they remove a disaster-themed movie like 2012, why didn't they remove movies like Knowing or The Day After Tomorrow?" It struck me quite a good question. Knowing and The Day After Tomorrow have the same theme, which is disaster, even Knowing is even more tragical than the other Emmerich movies (see the ending of Knowing for your information).

In my opinion, MUI is against the movie 2012 because there's a religious belief value contained in it. I'm certain, it's just no one has mentioned about it yet. In the movie, the global catalysm that has been predicted by the Mayans, is proved to be true. Meanwhile, according to Moslem believes that only God knows when doomsday will happen. MUI believes that the movie misleads the belief of all people into believing that the Mayan prediction is accurate that on December 21, 2012, all life on earth will be wiped out. Knowing's disaster is actually based on prediction too, but not based on any religious belief's predicition. So you can say that Indonesians are indeed sensitive when it comes to religion and beliefs.

So, I guess that answers the question why movies like Knowing and The Day After Tomorrow were not removed during their release. That's because there's no religious belief contained in it. At least, through the 2012 doomsday prediction, that our nature is dying and we - as humans - are responsible to prevent Global Warming, which somehow can lead us to a disaster. Well, maybe not as 'lebay' as what is depicted in Emmerich's disaster movies.

Everyone, even it is the genius Mr. Roland Emmerich himself, is free to depict every issues going on in society through the form of art. Art is an expression, isn't it? Besides, the movie is only an entertainment, isn't it? Whether it misleads people and scare them about the fact of 2012 doomsday, it all comes back to them. As audience, people should be wise to choose which one is entertainment and which one is a religious belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment