Friday, November 13, 2009

Je suis super content aujourd'hui!

means: I'm very happy today!

Haha, not really. It's just that I'm kind of in a good mood today. Well, there are several things that really made my day today.
  • Finally, I got to figure out how to do three column layout on Blogger. So you can see that I come up with a new layout. Not a new template though. Dark and Hollywood pink still catch my attention. But you can see some new features I applied on the sidebars. Don't those Facebook and Twitter logos look different? Yeah, I made them myself, after downloading their fonts.

  • After getting stuck for nearly days on my paper, I did a consultation with this lovely lady, advisor, and teacher, Bu Santi, who gave me solution what to do with my Chapter 3 and the best way to complete my paper before its deadline. Finally...after days of being stuck, thanks to her solution and dedication, now I can move on!!

  • I got to ALMOST finish Canon in D today, for the concert on the 31st of November in PIM 2. Please come and watch, everyone :)

  • Getting more and more expressions, phrases, and vocabularies of French. By the way, the teacher offered me to take a DELF test, it's like a TOEFL but in French. Well, I'm still a beginner, and far from being someone who is fluent in French. German takes more of my time, so I'm more getting used to speak German. Though I love French too. That language is just fascinatting. The phrase "Je suis super content" is one of the new phrases I learned today.

  • Speaking of French, just found a new, unseen scene of Gaspard Ulliel in his movie the Vintner's Luck. Whoopeee

  • Unfortunately, nothing new about Super Junior. The frequently updated website of theirs: Twelfs, is currently in hiatus. Except that yesterday, a friend of mine, a Freshman to be exact, lent me two disks of Super Junior 1st Asian Super Show. It was awesome!!! Can't describe it by words.

  • RAININGRAININGRAINING. Wish today is Sunday night. If you know what I mean...

  • Going home early from school. A monthly teachers' meeting was held.

  • I finally finished reading a novel written by Fenny Wong, entitled "Moonlight Waltz". Scroll down for its review
Um alright now onto the book review

It's been a while for me not to read teen stuff, especially in Indonesian. Lately, I'm more into chicklit and cultural literature like Memoirs of a Geisha. Actually I stumbled upon this book while looking for a book for my friend's birthday.

Lately I'm interested in fictions about music, and there it was, the book called Moonlight Waltz caught my attention and I decided to buy it. This book is published by Gagasmedia, and written by Fenny Wong. It tells about a girl named Arlin who falls for a boy who dedicates his life for piano. But in the other side, the boy actually also catches the attention of Liora, a girl who is pretty much like him. Both Liora and Aldo have this same interest on music, while Arlin feels jealous about them having this same ambition.

As the 'new book' I've read after a while reading mature, literate, heavy readings, especially in English, I felt kind of awkward reading this novel at first. I mean, after a while being vacuum from reading Indonesian especially teen fictions, I haven't got used to the sentence structure and writing style. But I tell you, Moonlight Waltz is really nicely written, straight to the point, warm, and witty. The plot is light, not too heavy. It's kind of book you'll bring with you on a trip and you'll read it while waiting to board the plane in the airport.

However, the book is less descriptive, and much straight to the point. But you know that this book is unlike Twilight, who blabbers more about descriptions of the characters, setting, and place. Moonlight Waltz is more into narrative prose, with a flowing plot (haha, Language department student mode on). Although it's less descriptive, I think this book fits for people who like to go to straight to point, without blabbering here and there, lots of description, etc. I consider myself more as a descriptive person though, seeing that my novel is filled with descriptions, descriptions, descriptions. I love them, but it doesn't mean I hate narrative prose. Description is just my thing.

Onto the minus, well, first, it's a bit less descriptive, like I say. Second, some parts seem to be experiencing from 'plot jump', meaning there are some scenes happening without being told why that happen, like the reason why Liora is absent for a while. The story is also a bit cliche and too teen-ish, with a simple plot (love triangle. Trust me, it's just me not getting used to reading teenlit!). But I like how Fenny makes a twist at the end of the story though, which I like.

OK then, let's wrap things up. I recommend this book for those who like light reading, to be read to kill your time, and just a one-day finished reading novel. Guten Nacht!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, love that you loved the book. Lacking on description, huh... noted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reading my review! Yes, I did enjoy the book! About the lack of description, cuman masalah selera aja kok. hehe :). keep up good work

    ReplyDelete