Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year Resolution

I know it's late, but I just realized that like anyone else, I need to compose some New Year Resolutions. I can't say that these are promises, but at least these would serve me as goals and targets to accomplish this year. It'd be great if I could accomplish all of them, but at least it's the effort that counts:

I don't mean to show off or brag in this post. I just need something to keep on track with my targets, so if these resolutions somewhat strike you as bragging, I'm sorry but that's not my intention.

Made a simple typographic poster for this post
  1. Be more productive in all aspects
  2. Don't be narrow minded. Make more friends that aren't in your field, major, or even school. It helps expanding my perspective.

    Typical friend in my school and major: "Don't waste your time finding a job or an activity that doesn't have anything to do with design."

    Friend outside my school and major: "Find as many opportunities as possible, even though it doesn't have anything to do with your field, that you can somehow apply that part of the aspect in that opportunity in your field."

  3. Just because I spent 17K to go to a design school, it doesn't mean my life is all about designing. I love writing and I have a passion in music just as I love designing. Those non-design passions need to be applied somewhere. If I do 100% of my life just designing, I'd go insane. Really, writing and music compliment designing and the other way around.
  4. Reduce drinking
  5. Find more inspirations in a halal way (beer and energy drinks does help you find design inspiration, but at the same time, it's a ticking bomb, and dude, you're like only 21!)
  6. Try as many opportunities as possible.
  7. Don't be very image-conscious. I just read a quote somewhere that says something like "You need to accept the fact that not everyone likes you." Just treat others the way you want others to treat you. 
  8. Try to be more sensitive. Guys like sensitive girls, don't they?
  9. Write something meaningful. I don't know, a short story, maybe? A novel sounds impossible for now. I haven't even got a chance to publish my previous novels.
  10. Learn and more new things. For example, I got to learn Adobe Premiere Pro this week through tutorials. Aha! Life is short and I'm still young!
  11. Freelance jobs.
  12. Be more conceptual. Over the past few months, I learned that design doesn't lie merely on the executions, but also the concept. Need to tackle that matter seriously.
  13. Be more positive thinking
  14. Learn how to present my works in front of professional people. I did that already last year for my final, but since I wasn't ready, I ended up BS-ing. They trusted me though, and I felt bad. Oh guilty pleasure
  15. Keep this blog alive. I showed this blog to my dean. I initially only showed him the banner and the layout as an example how I apply my design skills not only to school projects, but as well to other things, but then he got drawn to the posts I wrote. Then he encouraged me to keep up writing to balance with my design life. Thank you sir!
  16. Come to Christian care groups more often. I may not be Christian, but sharing and learning about life lessons do help me relieve stress and help me somewhat be more grateful with my life, and bring even closer to God. Did I also mention it pushes me to make more friends too? :D
  17. Save money, find a part time job, make some money, make myself useful...and again, it doesn't have to be about designing.
Too much, eh?
Okay guys, I'm compiling videos from my recent trip as well. As soon as I get it done, I'll post stories of the trip. Have a good one!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment