Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Two Ultimate Dumbness of the Week (Oh God, Why?)

Sometimes, at some points of our life, there are moments where you just want to hide your face and don't want to expose yourself to anyone. We just wanted to forget that ever happened. In my case, those kinds of moment happen to me in a week.

Yes, I made two silly mistakes in two consecutive days. Nothing really personal or serious though, so don't worry. Just pure dumbness hahaha.

  1. I mistook a famous writer as another famous writer.
    Elda included me in a group convo with a famous Indonesian writer on Facebook, because the writer needs my help in a research for her future project. I was initially unaware that thewriter was included in the convo. So I went "Yeah I'm a big fan of her because if this ABC novel." The so-called ABC novel was apparently written by another writer, whose last name slightly rhymes with the writer I talked to on Facebook. A few minutes after I posted the message, I realized the writer I was talking to didn't write ABC novel and also I was aware that the writer herself was included in the convo. So I quickly deleted the message and removed the ABC novel mention. Problem solved? No! Because FB was being a female-dog! The writer could still see my deleted message and she told me "No, unfortunately I'm not the writer of the ABC novel."

    Thank you Facebook, for helping me make a bad first impression for a famous writer haha

  2. Picking a British Writer for an American-Themed Project
    Seriously, I don't think this is dumb. It's just an honest mistake, but I just felt like being put on the spot due to the situation. So I have a type project entitling The Great American Writer Series in which the students have to pick a classical writer and we had to design a mini booklet dedicated to the writer. The professor provided the list of famous American writers, but underneath the list, there was a note saying "You may choose a writer out of the list." We each had to claim a writer. One of my friends, X, suddenly happened to claim George Orwell, who was obviously not an American. The professor approved her choice. I went. "Oh we can pick a British writer?" my other friend, Y, said. "Yeah, X picked George Orwell so..." Okay, so I thought it was a great idea to not choose a writer from the list. I subsequently claimed H.G Wells since I'm quite familiar with his sci/fi works, and the professor approved my project.

    Biography.com
    The week after, X unknowingly changed to Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand is not on the list, but she was American. Apparently she changed the writer earlier before the next class, where we had our first critique. So that practically left me as the only student in his class to choose a writer that's not on the list, and even a non-American xD. No hard feelings to my friend who chose Ayn Rand, her spread designs are so awesome though :)

    My professor pointed out during crit (I finished my spreads already, complete with cover, illustration, additional graphics, and content). "Isn't H.G Wells British?" I was like "Yeah, do you want me to change it?" He replied. "No, there's no time. It's okay, just go with him. Now it's going to be The Great British Writer Series project for you." When he mentioned The Great British Writer Series, I hinted that he was just teasing (Haha seriously my professor is nice, but I have a hard time interpreting his emotions. He always has the same flat expression and tone when he compliments or hates a work). Well, it was an honest mistake anyway. H.G Wells, despite a non-American, was still famous for his literary works. His biography even mentioned that some inventions he created on his literary works actually took a role in the creation of today's advanced technology.

    Come to think of it. What could've been worse is that I could've just chosen E.L James instead of H.G Wells.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. well you know, dear, the reason why I wanna change is BECAUSE I wanna leave that 'past' of me. I wanna start from scratch. Though it doesn't mean I wanna erase it. That's why I'm thinking of starting to write on 'The Navigation' only, but still having 'Kaleidoscope' as "memory"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaaaa I just read the second part of your clumsiness. That was 'awesome'!! XD

    ReplyDelete