Sunday, May 12, 2013

Crying my eyeballs out

Tell me, when was the last time a movie made you cry like a four year-old?
I'm talking about a short animated film, not a featured one.
This short - Father and Daughter - created by Dutch filmmaker Michael Dudok de Wit, won an Oscar for Best Animated Short back in 2000. It tells about a father who leaves his daughter while he's taking off on a boat. The daughter constantly goes to the same spot each and everytime she grows up to see if her father comes back.


 
According to Wikipedia, the short serves as a metaphor. The father leaving symbolizes his death, while the daughter waiting for her father to return actually implies that she still remembers him for the rest of her life.
I like the fact that the animators decided to go for a traditional, simple kind of animation with stiff movement, instead of using motion-blur effect to create every frame moving smoothly (like what you normally see in common animated features). The visual treatment really reflects to the simplicity of the story except it has rich morals.
Dang, time to watch some funny stuff. Any ideas?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the way, Happy Mother's Day to awesome moms and moms-to-be out there!
I know this post is so un-Mother's day, but hope you have a good time with your mom!
I just realized that Indonesians don't necessarily celebrate Mother's Day on May 12 like most people do. So when I wished my mom a Happy Mother's Day, she's like "what?"
Ugh, the new semester starts tomorrow. Elda just came back to Michigan after spending three days in LA. I'll post the story soon!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment