Friday, April 15, 2011

I wanna be a conglomerate (so freakin' bad)

You may not find anything funny from this dialogue, but it just sounds very unique.
Just last night, my mom messaged me through BBM, asking me how I've been doing. All of a sudden, we came across this unexpected topic. Well, basically the entire conversation is about a friend of mine, let's just call him "Kimchi" (especially since he likes to grin a lot, and that grin is like saying "Kimchi...Kimchi...") who's currently studying abroad as well.
Mom: "Your friend - Kimchi - is now working at a department store, you know."

Me: "Good for him then." (cos last time, I heard of him working as a kitchen dishwasher. So I hoped to hear he moved to a better workplace).

Mom: "Yup, his mom said that Kimchi was a smart speaker now. He could handle job interviews really well. Through his mom, he also said that he wanted to upgrade his job from being a dishwasher, to being an employee in that department store. So that he can make his dreams come true." (What a word: Dreams come true, pretty much like Disney's slogan)

Me: "Dreams come true? What are his dreams?"

Mom: "He wants to be a conglomerate."

Me: "A future conglomerate working at a department store?"

Mom: "He may now start barely as an employee, pushing carts back to shelves, but well, you never know what's going to happen in the future. Besides, that kid's quite ambitious, you know."
Oh wow, hearing about Kimchi's big dream, I become strongly motivated on my goals now. Why only this particular friend of mine that can motivate me? Cos he's my childhood friend and so far I've felt like I've underestimated him a lot throughout the days.

So hearing about him getting all the jobs and such, now I've felt the world's running in reverse. I haven't done anything much these days. The most productive things I've ever done are probably doing job applications and attending club meetings.

Last quarter, I ridiculously turned down an off-campus art teacher's assistant job just because I didn't feel very confident due to my limited drawing skills. Then now I'm aiming to work at the library or bookstore. Maybe I'm going to apply as a Math tutor, which I'm going to show you the details now through the dialogue below (continued from the dialogue above).
Mom: "What about you then? You've got a job yet?"

Me: "Not yet. I just applied for a library's position, and lately my friend recommended me a job at the tutoring center. I might apply as a Math tutor. The demand and requirement are pretty easy anyway."

Mom: "Huh? Math tutor?" (possibly, my mom was like "WTF, my kid, who barely ever scored past 70 in Math back in high school, now wanted to be a math tutor? *uncontrolled laughter* she must be joking").

Me: "Yeah, don't underestimate me. I'm not going to teach difficult stuff. I'm aiming to be an algebra tutor." (Algebra's probably the easiest among all Math levels. I don't even know/care if my mom knows about that)

Mom: "I have a feeling you should apply for an art assistant job or English tutor instead." (maybe her words are synonymous to: "Are you gonna kill yourself? I mean, teaching math? Go find a more suitable job for you.")

Me: "I'm not good in correcting essays nor displaying my artwork as good examples in art classes."

Mom: "How are you going to apply as a math teacher?"

Me: "I'll ask my past Algebra professor to recommend me."

Mom: "Whatever. It's up to you."
Anyway, it's just that I've never chatted with my mom this long (the actual conversation is even longer. I just cut off some parts here so you won't read all the unnecessary blabbers). We chat once in a blue moon, and I never find chatting with my mom THAT enjoyable compared to chatting with my lively dad.
But it's just...wow....my mom's really good at this kind of topic.

I'm running out of the track here. Well, the point that I'm about the emphasize is actually Kimchi's point where he aimed to make his dreams come true. I still don't get exactly what he means with his dreams since his definition of dream is rather abstract, but I guess that's kind of motivating, not just to me but to all of us.

We can dream big and it always starts from the bottom in order to reach something at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment