Thursday, April 14, 2011

From L A with ♥ pt. 6: U C Lots of Attraction

Title = FAIL XD

Previously: That's not the end of the story. Elda and I woke Aymee up when the clock struck 12. Yep, it's Aymee's Birthday!!!!! Aymee was already asleep but Elda and I managed to be awake, and when it was time, we surrounded Aymee and sang Happy Birthday! XD
It's gonna be a looooong day tomorrow!!!!

DAY 4: MARCH 29, 2011 (Aymee's Birthday!)

Sorry took me forever to finally make another post.
Well, I shouldn't have excused myself cos reality's taking over me these days. School hasn't been so busy yet, but I mean, it's just the second week, so I don't know what's going to come up next.

Anyway, let's move onto the next topic before these memories of my spring break in LA fades away. Getting on the third fourth day, which was the second last day before our departure back to Cupertino, we had a lot of plans and places to go to. Again, we got up really early that day and took off to Little Tokyo metro station.

Before going straight to the station, we dropped by at a bakery in Japanese Village plaza. Since it was very early in the morning, most of the shops were still closed, with only a few were opened. I bought myself a curry pan (=bread) for breakfast, which was recommended by the lady behind the counter. Aymee also got herself the same thing.

Nom nom!
Must try for curry fans :p

Since such a bread with that flavor was brand new to my tongue, I kind of doubted how it would taste like. Aymee was getting used to tasting new stuff so I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have much doubt, but as for my case, it was different.

So anyway, we munched on our curry pans (I forgot what Elda got) and took off straight to the Little Tokyo Metro station. In case you don't know where exactly we were going, our first destination would be the highly-acknowledged university in LA aka University of California, Los Angeles (read=UCLA). Turns out the curry pan was so damn good! Due to my extreme hunger that morning, I quickly devoured that pan in less than a minute, while walking to the station.

This time, we were to take the Metro rail to Union Station and switch it to the purple line rail, with Wilshire/Western (Koreatown) as its final stop. Speaking of Koreatown, that was one of the destinations we aimed to go, but I'm going to talk about that later.

Once we got off in Wilshire/Western, I caught a glimpse of Koreatown intersection. Seriously, everything there was all in Korean characters! I felt like the train was taking me straight to Seoul instead to another corner of LA. Oh, mind my blabbering. We were to take a bus that took us down the Wilshire Boulevard all the way to Westwood.

It was a loooooong bus ride. Good thing we didn't have to switch buses cos it would take us longer to get to UCLA. But it was such a pain in the butt since the bus was packed with people so Aymee, Elda, and I had to stand throughout the ride. Anyway, we passed some LA famous sites such as Beverly Hills, La Brea Tar Pits, and the filming location of No Strings Attached.

Despite the long ride (as we saw on our Google map apps), it didn't feel like ages. Soon we arrived at Westwood and got off at an intersection. One of the roads in the intersection led all the way to UCLA. So we only needed to follow the path down the road (Westwood Boulevard) all the way to the campus grounds.

I liked how the campus was situated. For someone who enjoyed living in the crowd, I definitely admired UCLA's surroundings. Down the path that led to the main campus area, stood lines of shops, restaurants, and even malls (Westwood Plaza). I became even more ecstatic to transfer to this UC, even though the chances might be a bit futile.

UCLA was located right at the end of the road. The first thing we were about to find is, again, the admission office, cos basically that's where it all starts: registration, new student information, and even the tour we planned to join as well.

The main campus ground was packed of people, which reminds me pretty much of my own college campus in its weekdays. I wonder why people weren't having spring break just like us, most likely because their academic system was slightly different than ours. Unfortunately, the tour had taken off. We knew we were late, so we took our own moment to explore the campus even deeper.

Three of us stumbled upon a library building. We were quite convinced it was the library where the famed yet controversial Alexandra Wallace complained upon the noisy Asian students talking on their phones. The issue was still recent. If you don't know the case, basically, there's this UCLA girl who posted a video on Youtube. She blabbered that she was annoyed for hearing Asian students talking on their phones in the library, while she was having an epiphany in the middle of studying Political Science for final exam.

The building where it happened aka the Crime Scene

Thus, Aymee hilariously called this library as “the crime scene”.

The next destination within the campus is, Art Department building. On our way, we stumbled upon several groups of campus tour. At first, we were considering to join, but in the end, for some reason (maybe because it would take up more than two hours, considering how enormous the campus complex is), we decided to just walk on our own.

Nothing much found in Art Department building, cos it turns out to be a building full of classes and some sculptures that I forgot to take pictures. Lame. There was no place even to ask for information. So we decided to take some more pictures.

The clock struck 12, and we realized there was still plenty of place to go to. So we decided to go back all the way to the main entrance of UCLA campus. Apparently the UCLA main entrance was waaaay faaaarr from where we were at that moment (Art Department Building). The building itself was located close to the back entrance which was Sunset Boulevard.

Actually there were lots of interesting object for photography around UCLA grounds, but please excuse my low camera battery (damn, I forgot to charge it the day before. I had no idea we would go to so many places that day), I decided to save it for later.

We walked our way back to the main entrance, but before that, the three of us spent some quality time in the UCLA shop. I got myself a blue UCLA shirt.

And Elda bought a book that's strongly related to her major, which is “Super Structure”. Wow, way to go. XD

Later on, we walked down Westwood Boulevard out of the campus area. Next up, we were going to have lunch in Simpang Asia. In case you don't know what it is, it's an Indonesian restaurant located somewhere between UCLA and Koreatown. It was said to have a huge variety of Indonesian food. Not being biased but it's pretty famous especially for Indonesian community not just in Los Angeles, but in California (hey, we're from SF Bay Area).

To go there, we didn't have to take the bus in Wilshire Boulevard when we first got off. Apparently there was a bus stop that would lead us to Simpang Asia.

What the heck, the post's getting longer! It was still a long day, but I'll cut off here so you won't hurt your eyes reading such a loooong text.

<< Part 5 • • Part 7 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment