Friday, October 29, 2010

I'm Legal now!

Wow, it's been over a month since the last time I updated this blog. I have a good excuse for this, and it's not a surprise that college has pretty much kept me away from blogging. Shortly after Fall quarter started, hardly no more exciting, flip-flopping things going on, unlike before. Things went as just as normal hang outs and stuff.
I even haven't got to share some stories that I've been planning to post. No promises that I'm going to post them soon. But I'm going to post them for sure, just don't know when. If time allows though.

Anyway, I'm just going to start from the most recent yet exciting event of the month. Just a week before my birthday, October 15, my friends and I were throwing a surprise for our friend Patricia at midnight. It was rather or considered brutal since they were throwing stuff (mostly food ingredients) to the birthday girl, but it was epic though. Too bad I missed the start since I had to wait for the bus for quite a long time).

After the surprise, we went for a late dinner in Sunnyvale with Pho noodle.







It was a nice midnight craving and I ended up returning to my apartment at approximately 1 pm. That was the latest time I'd ever got my butt home. I knew my parents were going to yell at me if they found out I got home that late *stuck out tongue*. But things were going just fine and I didn't (luckily) get yelled at.

Moving on to the next week, my 18th birthday was approaching and my mom suggested me to throw a party invite my friends for a birthday lunch. Good thing about this year's birthday, it fell right on Saturday. Saturday = weekend = friend's hangout time.

The funny thing actually happened on the turning night from the 22nd to the 23rd. My friend Dian was coming over at 10pm, which had to be questioned because it was peculiar for a friend to drop by so late.
But she just said "I'm bored at home." I stupidly believed in her cunning reason. Anyway, right at 11.30pm, she told me and my roommate Elda that it was time for her to go home because it was already late (I even offered her for an overnight stay at our apartment) and beckoned Elda to accompany her until she reached the bus stop.

So there I was, sitting in the turning night all by myself and skype-ing with my other friend Aymee. An hour passed and Elda still hadn't got back yet (where was I thinking that moment? Nothing but worries ><). I complained and whined to Aymee how I was going to spend my countdown to birthday all by myself, without knowing that Aymee actually knew all the surprise plans! I even screencapped our Skype conversation.

Look at that face concealing all the lies. Haha, kidding Aymee



It was already 12.15 am, October 23, 2010 and Elda still hadn't returned yet. Worried, I profusely texted her when she was going back since sure it didn't take long for someone to take a friend to the bus stop (especially the bus stop wasn't that far from the apartment). Elda told me she was accompanying Dian at Ihop buying a pancake for her brother, who was having a midnight craving, and that Elda might be coming home late. She even suggested me to sleep first.

There was actually this feeling in me where I felt I should stay up until she came up, and that was exactly what I did.

I went on believing them. Stupid stupid stupid. My dad called me through Skype and wished me a Happy Birthday, and at that moment, there was a ding sound at the door and I went up to open it. You would've figured what I found behind that door.



HA! SURPRISE!
Really, this moment reminds me with this one and this one.







To be honest, I really didn't expect my friends popping up at the door, especially since Elda was the first to enter and since she had the key to get in. Apparently Elda and Dian were involved in the plan, and so was Aymee but she couldn't join, so that's the reason why she still had a conversation with me through Skype. Perhaps, it's better to call her a bait then?

I was utterly speechless and that moment was like priceless.
It was my first time being surprised for like, officially.

We had a midnight time together for a while. Seeing my laptop was on, my friends were experimenting with its webcam (Photobooth application to be exact).


From left to right: Me, Inez, Patricia, Kathleen, Dian, Rebecca.







Together we munched on the super duper yummy Oreo chocolate cake (and the best cake I've ever tasted since I'm very much into chocolates). The whip cream and the chocolate was just so yummy (writing this makes me having this midnight crave, off for a second to grab the remainder slice of the cake).



Looks yummy eh?

We talked for a moment about the dance class Inez and I had earlier in the afternoon. My other friends simply asked us to demonstrate the recent dancing piece we had that afternoon. It was a bit awkward and the spacious living room became a sudden stage.

After a while, my friends bid farewell and left me and Elda alone. That wasn't the end of the night though. In fact, what we did was resuming the experiment with Photobooth. There was a funny clip made quite incidentally, which you can take a peek below.



It's a video of 8 seconds with us posing at the camera like we were about to take a picture. It came to a realization that the application wasn't set on Camera mode. It took a while for us (especially Elda) to realize that it was set on Video mode.

Her reaction simply LOL-ed me. We watched the video over and over again and decided to do some editing with it (like making it a slow motion that her voice sounds superficially like a groaning Godzilla, reversing it, etc)

The night ended at 3 am when we all had our stomachs aching out of LOL-ing at the video. We actually made out some of other videos as well. But there were too many of them. The video above was probably the funniest that I decided to put up here. Hope you don't mind about it, Elda. *peace*

The same day (of course it was the same day), I woke up quite late in the afternoon, and rushed to take a shower, preparing to go to the Pizza Hut, where I have made a reservation for my birthday lunch with my friends two days before. On the bus to the restaurant, I even met Amira.

The scheduled lunch was supposed to be at 2 pm but the host (aka me) arrived around fifteen minutes late. Terry, Agnes, and Jocelyn (my international friends who I also invited) had arrived there already.

At that point, you know, I felt a bit embarrassed since as the host of the event, I even got there late. So basically I didn't know where to put my face in front of my punctual friends.






From left to right: Agnes, Terry, Amira, Rebecca, Patricia, Inez, Kathleen, Idel, Kezia, me, Jocelyn, and Astha



The lunch went really well. The good thing was I got to introduce my international friends to my Indonesian friends).
There was a bit awkward moment between my Indonesian friends and my international friends though. But each of them got along very well during the lunch, especially some of my international friends hadn't got to meet each other before.





Did I forget to mention that it was a rainy day? The fact is, it was a rainy day. It'd been raining since I woke up and even until after lunch. The sky was terribly dark gray-ish. Scary, in short, like it was going to rain again. We called it a day though, and some of my Indonesian friends left the venue and so were I and my international friends.

Before getting picked up by their relatives, my international friends and I dropped by Staples, this small office depot located right next to Pizza Hut, to take a look around and see if anything's interesting. But soon, they had to say goodbye because their relatives had arrived to pick them up, leaving me and Elda the ones that were left.

Anyway, Elda ended up buying a small white board and a journal for herself. At first, I was like "Why the heck do you buy that white board for?" and she was like "It's freaking $1.00." Well turns out that the purpose she bought it was its price. But in the end, it was pretty useful since we put it up in the fridge and used it to leave notes to each other on weekdays.



Not bad huh? Nice choice Elda, although I knew the first reason why you bought it is because of the price. Low price, useful, pretty much it's worth it.

Anyway, from Staples, we went across the street to Target. Pretty much we didn't buy anything there, just seeking for some shelter since the wind outside blew kind of hard and it looked like it was going to rain. We looked up at the prices of beanbag chairs we were planning to buy for the apartment and even took a look at books (always the favorite section)

We decided to go home shortly before the weather worsened.

At home, I made a special dinner. I'm usually lazy at cooking, not to mention I'm not the best chef in the house, but well, I did my best.


I don't know what I should call this, but it's basically a mixed fried tofu and mushroom with a sesame oil

And also, the moment I'd been waiting for: unveiling the presents from my friends :)


The greeting card from my friends who came to surprise me the night before


From Astha!
She knew I really wanted to read these books! Thank you sooo much!!



Kezia and Idel gave me this cute Totoro frame. I couldn't resist to put it on display!

There's another greeting card from my friend Hang but I haven't got the chance to take a picture of it. Perhaps some time :)

Wow, what one heck of a post! This is what happens if I haven't posted for so long. But since this is also a special post featuring my friends' birthday and mine as well, I guess it's quite worth it. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this post!

P.S: My English's getting sucks. Another effect for not posting for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment