Saturday, November 30, 2013

Give Thanks (Pt 2)

THANKSGIVING DAY

The next day, Jessica and I met up to see Frozen in the afternoon in AMC Santa Anita. Seeing it was Thanksgiving, we thought the cinema would at least have less people than the other days, but instead, it was PACKED with families and children.

Of course they were there to see one of the most awaited Disney flicks other than Monsters University. Even more, it's a Disney's fairytale movie that was said to be the best one since Beauty and the Beast. Come on, who's not down for it?

The cinema was open, but the mall itself was closed. They were probably preparing for the Black Friday coming up right the day after.

The parking lot was EMPTY. Well, some movie audiences probably parked on the other side of the lot.
After the movie, Jessica and I thought if we should have Thanksgiving dinner. We invited Dami over for dinner. Don't expect the dinner to be all huge with a full-scale turkey on the table. First off, there would be three of us; secondly, we didn't have enough time to prepare for a whole turkey - like what Thanksgiving dinner would traditionally have; thirdly, we were - I was, too - saving up as much as we could. A real legit Thanksgiving dinner would take up like, what? $100 bucks for countless side dishes and meals? But our target was to at least spend $20-$30 for the whole meal and side dishes.

From the movie theatre, we headed towards Ralphs to get the ingredients for the dinner meal. Most of them were quick ingredients - the kind of ingredients you would just have to add water and boil it as well as heat it. We were lucky since there were only 2 cooked turkey breasts in the display up for grabs. Even one turkey breast looked a little too big for just 3 people. Actually, on my last year's Thanksgiving, my mom's friend who provided me her place to stay for last year's Thanksgiving break, pre-ordered a full-scale turkey for just three people to munch on (there were just my mom's friend, Elda, and me). And of course, we - petite ladies - couldn't finish up the whole turkey so the turkey was then divided for each of us to save for the next days.

Anyway, Jessica and I went on to buy other stuff for the dinner: mashed potatoes and its gravy, corn for the soup, drumsticks for butter fried chicken, and two slices of pumpkin pie for the dessert. All in all, everything cost $23. So each person would have to spend around $7.50 for the whole meal, though that didn't include other side dishes that would require to use ingredients that Jessica already has in her place.

Well, then we dropped by at Jessica's place and started to cook!




Voila, the dinner is served!

...and I just realized that the turkey, being the main signature dish for Thanksgiving, should be placed in the center. Oh well, we were too hungry. Time to gobble them!



After we were done with the main course, we munched on the pies while randomly watching cartoon and even famous Indonesian children songs back in the 90s (when Jessica, Dami, and I grew up with). Then Dami and I took off at 10.30 am. We needed some energy for tomorrow's Black Friday shopping!


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BLACK FRIDAY

Hey Black Friday! I woke up to find that it was raining and the gray cloud hung low. Suddenly laziness took over, but the "show" must go on. Dami picked me up at 10 am and soon, we arrived in Old Town Pasadena. After taking a look at Kate Spade's store, which only had a little discount, Dami and I met up with Jessica in the Body Shop. We quickly went on a shopping frenzy as all items in the store were $10. I was instantly hooked with a vanilla bliss hand cream with a lip balm with the same flavour. Aside from their sweet, vanilla-ish smell that I love, the lip balm - especially - would be my very first lip balm. I know it's lame for a girl in the early twenties not having one of them. I've been letting my lip go dry every winter without feeling bothered at the slightest.


Still walking under the rain, we headed back to the parking lot as we were set to have a Korean barbecue lunch in Downtown LA, near Little Tokyo to be exact, with another Jessica (yeah I know, so many Indonesian girls have that name).

As if last night's Thanksgiving dinner wasn't enough, four of us gobbled countless angus ribs, bulgogi, pork bellies, beef briskets, and intestines. Holy moly...


Afterwards, we walked a little bit (the rain already stopped) to Little Tokyo, which was only 2 blocks away from the mall where the Korean barbecue restaurant was located. Dami hasn't been to Little Tokyo so we took a quick stroll and dropped by into a gift store.

Then we went back to the mall's parking lot and chilled a bit in Toms n Toms Coffee, as Dami needed to get some coffee before we all headed back home. It was still a cloudy day at the end of the day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for today, I didn't do anything much. I just walked around before I decided I would take a longer walk, even to the Old Town, from my place. That was like 29 minutes one-way walk, which is equal to 5 minutes drive, 15 minutes by bus...and all in all, it was a 1.3 miles of walk. Gap was on a big sale (of course) so I decided to get myself a sweater for $25.00.

Enjoy the rest of the break guys!



1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great thanksgiving break! Though I bet you cooked chicken to avoid killing more turkeys! Haha...

    Happy belated thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete