Saturday, November 30, 2013

Give Thanks (Pt 1)

This might be the last post for me before I have to prepare for finals. It's week 13 y'all!!!! As I mentioned last time that I'm not going out of town for Thanksgiving. Some people do but I choose to stay in LA since some of my friends from the Bay Area came to visit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PRE-THANKSGIVING

The first dinner that started my Thanksgiving break started slightly roughly for me, not that bad but it shifted a bit out of the plan: on Wednesday late afternoon, I was still having a class. It was an individual critique day where students put their names on the list and took turns for the critique with the professor. Unlike last week, I got to the campus earlier than I thought and I managed to get the earliest critique time as possible (I was the fifth out of 15 students in total). So I finished and wrapped up quickly at 3.30 pm and decided to chill a bit with my friends, as well as making some corrections according to the crit I had.


Not long after that, my friend from the Bay Area called me. I remembered we were going to hang out Saturday. I thought he just called me to give me the heads up. "Carissa, we're in front of your house!" I jolted right from my seat. It didn't take a blink of an eye to get me from the campus back to my house seeing I don't have my car with me right now. My brain also decided to mess up. I thought our plan was to meet up on Saturday. But asking more questions would only put more frowns to my friends. So I made up some excuses that I was still at school because the class was extended longer than expected (though it was still class time, I just finished early). So I asked my friends if they could pick me up on the campus, which only took 8-10 minutes drive from my place. They said they would.

Well, I got into the car and met up with Eric from the Bay Area, Joyce from Pomona, and Marty from Irvine. Still my mind was still messing up with me. Lucky I just finished the crit otherwise I wouldn't be able to join them. We had planned this from a month ago but I couldn't really keep up with the group chat on Facebook. Last time I was noticed that we were meeting up on Saturday but probably (no, definitely) the plan was altered along the way and I wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, before we went for the dinner, we dropped by at two filming locations that Marty had wanted to see along the way to the restaurant: The Modern Family houses. These houses were only used for their exteriors in the TV series. The interiors obviously take place in an upscale sound stage. I don't really watch the Modern Family but since it won this year's Emmy, I pay my respect to the show...by taking pictures of the filming locations.

Phil and Claire's house
Any Modern Family fan would point out whose house is it? I forget whose house it is, even though Marty had pointed it out to met last time
After we took pictures, we picked up Emerson on the way to the restaurant, just when the sun went down. Apparently Emerson lives in a UCLA dorm, so we had to enter the outside of campus grounds and at least got a glimpse of what the largest campus in LA had to offer. Again, I've been here like twice already.

Without further ado, we headed straight to the restaurant: Joss Cuisine. It was a fancy Cantonese restaurant located a couple of blocks from the heart of Beverly Hills, also from Beverly Hilton (known as the venue of this year's Golden Globe award). The restaurant location itself is more isolated than expected, but still, the vibe was lovely.

The appetizer
Main course is here! Pineapple rice, fried beef, spicy dumpling, braised tofu, and two more to come which are not on the pictures.


The whole meal was a little pricey but heck, it was Thanksgiving Pre-Thanksgiving - an occasion where everyone should be super stuffed. It was a good dinner anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment