Monday, February 27, 2012

ORLANDO for winter. pt 1: departure

As promised, I finally managed to jot down my winter break experience! I might want to focus on Orlando trip and a bit of New York (since I didn't write much journal entries in New York). Anyway, let's get going!

Note: I didn't take lots of picture on the journey. Too busy handling the travel documents and carrying my bags around ^^


- BEFORE THE TRIP -

By the way, a bit about our planning. Aymee first initiated with the idea of going to Orlando on September (in the middle of summer break). I was a bit hesitated at first because going to Disneyworld, as she suggested, didn't sound that appealing to me in the first place compared to going to New York. But I vividly remembered that posted Disneyworld pictures on Facebook and tagged me and Elda on them, consider that as a form of persuasion.

Plus, Aymee mentioned that on Christmas break, everything would look magical in Disneyworld, given the decoration and Christmas-y vibe. After doing a bit of research, I was drawn to Aymee's idea. Thus, we began our planning for real during the Fall quarter that came after the summer break. In the end, it was confirmed that four of us – now with Aymee's boyfriend, Ardy, as the new participant – were positively in for the trip.

Elda and I completed the whole booking for ourselves: hotel, flight, and even Disneyworld. However, Aymee and Ardy seemed to be caught up in a technical glitch while booking for the flight and somehow their flight's schedule was moved to the 19th. So that makes Elda and I taking off to Orlando two days before they did.


Booked the ticket!

Nothing could beat the happiness of receiving my Disneyworld ticket (been saving my money for this yay)





So all set for the trip!

                               DAY 1: DECEMBER 17, 2011                             
What couldn't have been more relieving than finishing all final exams and a great vacation awaits you? That was what Elda and I felt on December 17, 2011. We were too occupied with our finals that we didn't have time to pack for our upcoming trip to Orlando.

Back to the departure day, believe it or not, I managed to stuff and squeeze everything into my – I don't know – possibly 40”x40” luggage. Seeing that I will be going to New York after Orlando to visit my cousin, I would need to shove both my thick winter jackets and T-shirts to the luggage. These two notable cities in the US are geographically distant, and that quite affected the temperature especially on winter: New York had a potential of snowing while Orlando was relatively warmer than Bay Area.

What a contrast, isn't it?


Anyway, the shuttle was scheduled to pick us up at 7. After packing was done in a flash, I rushed to the post office with Elda in a bit to mail my university application documents, and later on, we went to Ariake Sushi to have a late lunch (it was around 3:30 pm-ish). Then we went back home, did final checking and at 6:30 pm, we got on the shuttle that would take us to San Jose airport.

The journey didn't take long as we arrived at the airport at around 7:00-ish. Our flight was still at 9:30 am. After checking in, we surprisingly met Bill and Siyun in the scanning counter. Bill was taking Siyun to the airport, who was on her way back to Korea for winter break. We soon parted with Bill and the three of us moved to our gates. Elda and I first took Siyun to her gate and talked for a moment because she would be leaving earlier than us. We indeed had a great time but at 8, she had to board the plane. So off she left to LA, before continuing her journey to Seoul.

Elda and I slowly moved to our gate, which was surprisingly located exactly near the same old gate to LA on spring break last year. I munched on Oreo while waiting for the flight, seeing that we wouldn't have meal for at least the next nine hours.

Finally, at 9:26 pm, we were called to board Jetblue flight number 472 on the way to Boston before resuming our flight to Orlando! Our ultimate destination!

See you in 12 days, Cupertino!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

However, midway, I felt the plane was descending. I glanced at my watch for a second to see that it was still midnight, while we were supposed to be arriving in Boston early in the morning. My curiosity was answered when the captain announced that the plane needed to land in Kansas City (excuse my lacking in US geographical knowledge: I barely know where Kansas exactly is located) for medical emergency. Apparently, a passenger was having health issues that they needed to board a doctor in Kansas to check if he's okay. Hope nothing was serious.

It was very brief. We stayed inside the plane while looking out to the still-dark, Kansas landscape before the plane took off for Boston...and this time for real.

Part 2 >>


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment