Wednesday, February 15, 2012

3D stuff

You might be surprised to see me coming up with completely different design type. I'm not surprised if you ARE surprised, because 3D is something I have never approached before. Honestly, it takes up more effort than doing 2D (especially that'd be a plus point if you have a good 3D sense, which I'm lacking of, unfortunately). So taking a 3D class this quarter is definitely a challenge but I've liked it so far.

The following two pieces that I produced - you might think, "only two?", but seriously the work time took FOREVER - are the results of the last seven weeks of studio time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE DEMENTED CAT AND ITS POOR PREY
(Wire project)
Medium: Black wire of 20 gauge and 24 gauge, white wire
Inspiration: Tom and Jerry
Highlight: The cat's face
Emphasis: movement
Note:
I wanted to emphasize movement and aggressiveness as portrayed by the cat's pose, hope that came out well. In addition to that, I also thought of making the two "sequels" of the piece, involving the cat lifting up the mouse in its claws, followed by the mouse - now dead - clutched in the cat's mouth. And yes, it's hard to crimp and twist the thick wire since you need a tool for it, whose name I forget. Wish I could have developed more details on to it though ><













- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BIG BANG

(Geometric form)
Medium: cover papers of assorted colors and patterned paper contributed by Indri
Inspiration: Solar system????
Highlight: I just loveeee the two balls hanging on each sides of the wire. By the way they are movable.
Emphasis: Interpeneration, Interlocking, Juxtaposition, movement
Note:
According to my classmates and instructor in the critique today, the piece looks "fun, entertaining, and funky". I'm pleased that it received positive reviews. I didn't know where I got the inspiration from cos basically I didn't have the basic sketch for it. I instinctively started off making various kinds of unit (blocks, cubes, pyramids, and even the ball) then put them all together.



















Okay, I'll stop it right there. Don't worry, I'm not going to convert this blog into a complete design blog. I'll still be working on stories, but let's just wait for the right time.

Have a great President's Day long weekend holiday!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment