Saturday, August 27, 2011

Jakarta Pt 2: Beyond the Sea

More fun stories coming up now!
On Friday, on the first week of my vacation in Indonesia, I went out with Fany, Agnes, Monica, Widya, and Carmen to Plaza Semanggi. We had lunch together at its food court. It feels amazing to finally meet my best high school friends, got together, and shared our college experience. Even though my other friends go to different unis here in Jakarta, I can tell each of their uni has slightly different systems. But one unique thing I learn is that the Indonesian uni system and US college system aren't much different!

Anyway, here are some pictures I took. My friends haven't really much changed since high school!









I also gave away some souvenirs from the States for my friends. Don't judge them by the size, I know they're small, but these small hand sanitizers have made themselves quite a trend in the US! (sorta)

And they're cute too!



Afterwards, we decided we'd see Transformers 3: The Dark of the Moon. Actually I've seen it once in the US, but it wouldn't bother me if I saw it for the second time. Although I'm not really a fan of these robots, I was quite mesmerized with the whole effect, which made me agree on the decision of watching it for the second time.

Excuse the blurry image. The lighting kinda sucks.





It seems like it's been forever since I saw a subtitled movie. It took me a moment that I was not in AMC, but in 21. Movies here are certainly subtitled. I'm really relieved by the fact that Indonesian government started releasing Hollywood movies again after several months of disbandment. The release of Harry Potter 7 Part 2, Transformers 3, Kungfu Panda 2, and Fast Five definitely make a good sign (and doesn't anyone realize they're all sequels?)

Well, moving on to Saturday still on the same week. Another reunion with my college friends was on the go, and this time, it'd take place in Seaworld, Ancol. I was psyched, since it certainly sounds better than going to Dufan (I'm not a fan of theme parks with many thrill rides). Unlike the other day, more friends were coming this time!

I went to Nancy's hotel to pick her up. Her hotel isn't located really far from Ancol. Only a couple of minutes away. Then we were off to Seaworld.







Before we entered the aquarium, we found a nice food court located just at its lobby. We decided to chill for a moment while waiting for our other friends to come. I made friends with Aymee's schoolmates who happened to be there as well: TM, her brother, and Joven.

After everyone was there, we entered the Seaworld at last. FYI, I went to another aquarium in less than a month, only the other one that I visited is in Monterey Bay. You know, that infamous Monterey Bay aquarium. I gotta say that aquarium is much larger than Seaworld. Seaworld's concept is more like putting every tank inside one big dark hall. Monterey Bay provides more rooms to display tanks.

Anyway, it doesn't eliminate the fact that Seaworld Indonesia isn't as good as Monterey. I love the fact that Seaworld Indonesia has bigger fish to display (even mammals), like Dugong, shark, and basically large sized beings that will make you drop your jaw in an instant. I don't recall Monterey having large sized fish.


We found Nemo!


Dugong. Probably the largest being and the only mammal we found in Seaworld.


Fresh water fish.


Some amphibians spotted in the site.


Darn, this dude is HUGE!

Then another thing I love about Seaworld Indonesia: they have underwater tunnel!
Unfortunately, most of the pictures taken in the undersea tunnel lacks of quality. The lighting doesn't provide much to produce high quality pictures. So I could only post some of the best ones taken inside.


Stingray found lying on the sand


Uh, I don't know whether it's the fish's real face or some kind of features that resemble face.



I honestly love the picture below, since it's actually the best yet high quality picture I took. Tony's expression reminds me of the song "Part of Your World". It's like he's dreaming to be part of...well...his surrounding.



It was a short visit, but the day was still young. We got out at around 2, had a brief visit to the Gift Shop, and we took off to find a nearby restaurant to have lunch.
Before that, some of my friends passed an ice cream stall and bought some ice cream. Nice to munch on in such a hot day.



We had lunch at Le Bridge. The place was hard to notice, since it turns out to be located far off the coast on a pier. So we had to cross a bridge to the pier across the beach where the restaurant exists.



The view in the bridge isn't so bad at all! It must also be a very rare moment for Jakarta people like me and my friends to take a look at the sea located in our city.



Later on, we returned to Seaworld where TM, her brother, Joven, and Aymee would be picked up. Before parting, we took some pictures. Some appeared to be very hilarious. The picture below is one of those some hilarious pictures. But way to go, boys! You guys show some high respect towards our country!



Last but not least, a group picture was finally taken.



It was a pleasant day! Nancy and I returned to her hotel where my parents had already waited at the lobby. Since it was already dinner time, we stopped by at an authentic seafood restaurant in Pecenongan area.

No comments:

Post a Comment