Saturday, October 1, 2011

Don't pick up the phone



Not really in a story-telling mood on, but I'm just going to tell you what happened last night.
I was supposed to be going home to do my all homework before leaving to SF the next day (today), but turns out, there's always an obstacle heading in this kid's virtuous intention's way *coughs*.

I was "kidnapped" up till past midnight in Kevin and Tony's place. Just in case you don't know what makes me decide to sacrifice some of my late hours to stay there is because we were going to see a horror movie. Plus, Ardy came over all the way from Davis just to hang around here in the Bay Area.

Ardy initiated the idea of horror movie night. So I wouldn't miss the chance, cos when else could we do it? He invited a friend over, Tanuj, to bring the movie. I wasn't really a frontal anti of horror movies. I didn't necessarily manage to run off whenever someone said we were going to watch a horror movie. I love horror movies, only if I get to watch it with bunch of people. The more people see it, the more less frightening it looks. It's thousand times better than having to see it at midnight by yourself *giddy, looks around*

Anyway, One Missed Call was chosen. I was a little disappointed cos I've seen it before, but my expectation heightened when it turned out we were going to see the Japanese version (I saw the American version). So, Kevin, Tony, Aymee, Ardy, Stefan, Khoan (Kevin and Tony's roommate), his girlfriend, and I plopped down to our comfiest positions to get the best view of the screening wall. Yep, the best thing about Kevin and Tony's house is that they have a friggin projector!!!! which is even better than any large TVs.

Well, the movie itself follows about a rumor saying that whenever a person heard his phone ringing a creepy-sounding ringtone and picked it up, he got to receive a voice mailbox indicating a specific time in the future. If he proceeded to hear the voice mailbox, he got to hear his own voice, saying two to three lines followed with (usually) a scream.


The mailbox apparently foretells the death of the phone's owner. The phone's owner would be found dead by the indicated time and would recite the lines as heard from the mailbox, shortly before encountering his death. Nakamura Yumi (Shibasaki Kou) somehow finds herself entangled with the event when she witnessed people around her dying shortly after receiving the horrendous call. When she finds out the death call formed some sort of a chain connection, she knows she was the next in line and thus intended to reverse the curse or whatever caused the whole death call to occur.

The movie never stopped sending chills to me and to almost everyone in the room. The whole tension hasn't risen until the half portion of the movie, but as it was approaching the climax, Shibasaki Kou's convincing act didn't lower the rate of my pounding heart. Although I must say I was a little disappointed by the vague ending, but I didn't blame the movie for that. Japanese movie makers might just prefer to imply the ending rather than explaining it bluntly to audience like the American version does. The actors including Shibasaki and the detective guy themselves delivers great acting in the movie. However, it terms of effect, storyline, and the chilling sensation, Japanese version definitely owns it. Duh.

Along the movie, Tanuj never stopped teasing us scaredy girls by abruptly playing the One Missed Call ringtone in his own phone during the movie. Aymee and I nearly jumped off as a reaction. Moments later, Tanuj played Justin Bieber's Baby in his phone, saying that we might prefer to listen to that instead of the creepy sounding ringtone, since he thought JB's Baby was even much scarier the creepy sounding ringtone from the movie -__-

The movie was done by 1 am and as a result, I needed Ardy and Aymee to take me home. They even walked me to my door to make sure I was back safe, sound, and not paranoid.

Well...since this post mentions a lot about Shibasaki Kou, I guess I wouldn't miss the chance to mention one trivial fact I find about her. I don't know if you guys think the same, hopefully you do. I always knew Shibasaki Kou always reminds me of someone first time I saw her on Orange Days (I give my credit to Elda for introducing this drama to me).

Apparently that other look-a-like person turns out to beeee.....


No other than Victoria or Song Qian of f(x).
Don't ya think? Look at the big eyes and similar hairstyle! Only Shibasaki Kou has fiercer and sharper features.

Pictures credit to:
http://kpopislandrocks.wordpress.com/
http://www.filmfortress.com/one_missed_call_review/
http://fankykat.blogspot.com/2010/03/japanese-horror-movies.html


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oalah... pantes kamu suka Shibasaki Kou -_-"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... oh well, somehow I become a bit of poetic when it comes to Monterey. Might try a poem soon. In any case thanks for reading it. Honestly, you're too fast! -_-

    ReplyDelete