Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Feb US Trip - Part 3

Previously: We went home in the evening, dinner in the hotel, and slept while watching HBO. I remembered it was...One Missed Call? The movie? While sleeping, I was a bit nervous about tomorrow. Hollywood. As in one of the places I was dying to go to. And the next day it would come to reality. Wow. Tomorrow's gonna be exciting.

--------
Saturday, February 12, 2009

LA & HOLLYWOOD TIME!!! I almost couldn't believe that I actually was about to visit one of
the places I'd really wanted to see! At about 6, my mom woke me up using this Mexican radio channel (so you wouldn't even imagine that I woke up for listening to someone talking Spanish all of sudden in my ear, and it was quite earsplitting). We went for breakfast in the restaurant and I checked my facebook. I didn't recall if I actually wrote that I was going to Hollywood, because I didn't really want my friends to know that I was actually on vacation.

Then the bus arrived and picked us up. Actually the bus wasn't going to take us straight to LA, but we were going to be taken to like a bus terminal where we would reconfirm our tickets then we would go straight to LA. After picking up several tourists from travellodges, the bus took off to the terminal and my mom went to reconfirm the ticket to LA and Hollywood tour. Some tourists decided to sip a cup of coffee for warming up before taking off

After reconfirming, the bus took off to LA! While driving, the driver also played a role as a tour guide, explaining about the history of LA (that the city was formed by a group of families), Anaheim, and also when we went through a highway, he explained that it was a highway used in the movie Speed, featuring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.

Also while passing through the highway we spotted the HOLLYWOOD sign at the right side of the street (it was on a hill). The driver told us that the sign had been through some hard times, since people had tried to steal some of the letters. Like stealing the H making it an OLLYWOOD sign. lol. Too bad I didn't get the picture of it since the bus was passing really fast so the picture was blur.

In just half an hour, the bus arrived in LA. First destination was to Music Center. It used to be home to the Oscars but now the function was only for plays and concerts.


Me in front of the Music Center


Fountain outside the Music Center

After taking pictures here and there, we got on the bus again and this time, we went straight to Hollywood. It didn't take a while from the Music Center to Hollywood. We actually spotted a prison near the Music Center where Paris Hilton was arrested due to DUI. It was not so long ago so I'm sure all of you still remember it.

Then we arrived in Hollywood Boulevard!!!! OMG, I could even hardly believe that I actually went there. Due to the Oscars which would be held tomorrow, the Hollywood Boulevard was closed so the bus needed to find a parking space to park. But fortunately, the bus parked not really far from the phenomenal Hollywood Boulevard. My mom, my dad's friend's wife, and I took a walk down the Hollywood Boulevard. It was quite surreal even when I saw the sign "Hollywood Boulevard".

Not to mention, before going to the Mann Chinese Theatre and Kodak Theatre, we took pictures in the walk of fame.



OK, these are 2 of so many walk of fames I captured on photos. After taking pictures, we went to Mann's Chinese Theatre, where they were some people working as what you call "cosplayers" , wearing costumes from famous movies. I did take a picture with a few of my favorite characters, like Catwoman, Batman, and Jack Sparrow. When I took a picture with Catwoman, she asked me where I came from and I said that I was from Indonesia. She asked how to say Thanks in my language and I told her "It's Terima Kasih" . And she tried to spell that. It worked really well!

Unfortunately, my mom forgot to switch the "Video" mode to "Photo" mode so when I took picture with Catwoman and the other cosplayers, it turned out to be a video instead.

Then I took picture with hand/foot signs plus signatures of the stars in front of Mann Chinese Theatre. I only spotted a few, like Harrison Ford's and Eddie Murphy's.

My dad's friend's wife was quite enthusiast to go to the building next to Mann, and it was no other thaaaannn... The Kodak Theatre itself. The theatre was closed obviously due to the Oscars, but in fact it was also a good thing, since I got to take pictures of the red carpet and the famous huge Oscar statue itself. It was still hard to believe that I actually got to see the red carpet of one of the most important event in motion picture, which I'd like to work in one day in the future (not as an actress, but at least getting involved in movie production, maybe a scriptwriter lol). I even spotted the bridge on which the E! channel presenter likes to give her reports on the Oscars.

So after that, we went to the gift shops nearby which sold plastic Oscar trophy for souvenirs (Instead of "Best Lead Actress" award and so on, they were instead written "Best Dad" or "Best Teacher" lol). I bought some keychains for my friends as well.

The famous Hollywood Boulevard

O_O

After spending for about two to three hours in Hollywood Boulevard. We got on the bus and took off. We took a bus ride around Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, and Sunset Boulevard. By mid-day, we got a bit further from Hollywood (but it's still in Hollywood territory) and stopped in Farmer's Market for lunch. It was like an outdoor foodcourt. My mom, I, and my dad's friend's wife ordered a huge size of fries to eat together, while watching a live music performance.

Suddenly, people gathered at one place. Then I noticed someone was standing on a balcony building, throwing colorful beads for people to grab (It was February, the season of Mardi Gras, and throwing beads is like the tradition). When I thought of Mardi Gras, actually I came to think of Tardigras, my school's last year event with Mardi Gras themed. At first, we weren't interested to join but then a nice old woman who just came back with her beads suggested us to join. Then we joined and finally got three beads!

Then we got on the bus and this time we headed to Santa Monica, where we would likely spend three hours shopping there (because Santa Monica got a nice shopping mall and city walk). The driver explained that some buildings there were actually owned by Governor of California himself, yeah that actor, you know.

Santa Monica was actually located on the shore and probably well-known with Santa Monica pier and a theme park there. We were thinking to go to the pier but it was too far and we couldn't get to bus on time due to the long walk. So we decided to just stick around in the mall. I was about to buy some boots but they were too...expensive for my taste. Haha. My mom ended up buying Victoria's Secret perfumes for my teacher and I ended up buying Starbucks green tea (because I felt soooo cooooolllld).

After approximately three hours of shopping, we headed back towards where the bus dropped us. But the bus wasn't there!!!! We thought we got left behind but apparently some people who were in the same tour also gathered and thought the same thing. In the end, the bus just happened to come late.

The next and last destination is...Venice Beach!!!! You know that place too, don't you? The name is quite familiar. Venice Beach wasn't so far from Santa Monica. There wasn't so much to see there. It reminded me of Kuta Beach, where there was a row of shops along the shore selling shirts and souvenirs, and not to mention, in Venice Beach, there was this interesting acrobatic performance which this stuntman jumped over bending people (or salto), which was great.

We took off from Venice Beach by the sunset and we all slept in the bus. It was very, very, very satisfying, I must say. When we arrived in Anaheim, the bus started dropping off some tourists in their travellodges. But when we were passing a quite neighborhood, the bus suddenly stopped because one of the headlights was apparently broken.

In the end, the driver called for a service and assistance finally came in about an hour. It was quite long. After the headlight was fixed, the bus was ready to go and next destination was...Best Western: Stovall's Inn. We finally arrived in Stovall's Inn and happened to pass Coco's. Coincidentally, we happened to see my dad and his friends were having a dinner there by the window and we were asked to join them. Maria was there (remember? The nice waitress the other day?).

At last, we shared our stories that day and that we happened to see the red carpet of Oscars (still it was one of the most memorable moments ever to happen that day). As I was eating my spaghetti, my mom said that the next day we would go to Disneyland (round 2), since we had two days passes.

Alright, we went home to the hotel and crashed on the bed, ready for Disneyland round 2 the next day!!!

TO BE CONTINUED

1 comment:

  1. Gosh! Are you going to write 4th, 5th, 6th parts? Wow, how long exactly was your holiday? Gee, how lucky you are :D

    ReplyDelete